Supporting Design, Sales & Merchandising Team through all stages of product development, from design to manufacture. As a Garment Technologist you are required to provide comment on CAD drawings from Design Team, oversee the chosen fabric & accessories, sizing, fitting, testing and safety compliance matters of the pre-production garments to ensure full visibility of product at the initial stage. Other responsibilities will include analysing product returns & faults.
Carry out a range of technical, investigative and quality control work on all clothing, textiles & accessories, ensure products perform to specifications. Work closely with Designer, Merchandiser, Sales & Manufacturer to improve quality & production efficiency and liaise with those involved in the production process.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversee CAD drawings, assist on technical specs to be sent to factories. All technical information will need to be kept up to date & all necessary alternations are made following reviews by customers;
- Before sampling, provide advice on specs;
- Liaise with designers, adapt designs to suit production methods, advice on fabrics & accessories, undertake quality evaluations of materials, ensure the correct garment construction methods to be used;
- Check samples throughout development process, ensure samples perform to specs;
- Keep up to date with technical innovations. The selection of materials we work with is wide, including natural & synthetic textiles – cotton, linen, metals & plastics;
- Ensure quality in areas such as strength, durability, colourfastness and water & chemical resistance;
- Work with internal term to analyse / resolve fabric issues;
- Work with Design Team to create size specs for sampling & costings;
- Oversee fabric testing & sizing by attending all internal fit samples, identify & reflect findings/issues to Designer/Merchandiser & update factories overseas, provide update on specs. Ensure relevant stakeholder understands what you want to achieve;
- Check quality of the final product & responding to product queries, including complaints from clients & customers;
- Carry out technical investigative work to ensure product is of the best standard;
- Ensure Design/Merchandiser’s critical path data is managed & met on time;
- Be the key contact point for both clients & factories to make sure all samples & products are made as specs;
- Request & approve test reports for all products;
- Assist Designer/Merchandiser for in-house testing.